now browsing by tag
Following the death of a man due to carbon monoxide poisoning, his estate administrator has filed a wrongful death claim against Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside, Illinois.
According to the complaint filed by Kevin O’Rourke on behalf of Phillip Osborne’s estate, Osborne died in May 2015 after he took his car to Autobarn Volkswagen for repair.
The plaintiff alleges that the defendant failed to inform Osborne that his vehicle was releasing carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment, and then allowed him to travel back in the unsafe vehicle.
The plaintiff is seeking $50,000 in addition to the court costs.
The family of the man who died from an infection caused after a fight outside a San Diego nightclub has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
Conner Kepple, 21, entered into a fight with nightclub employees after he was kicked out of the club for hitting a bouncer.
He later developed fast-spreading necrotizing fasciitis in an injured leg and died about a week after the fight.
The prosecutors have said they will not file criminal charges.
The family of a shooting instructor who was accidentally killed by a 9-year-old girl has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Arizona gun range.
Shooting instructor Charles Vacca was killed on August 25th, 2014, after he allowed the girl to fire the Uzi on her own.
The lawsuit filed in the Mohave County Superior Court states that “the Uzi was not a safe or appropriate weapon to entrust to a 9-year-old girl like the Child Shooter, which caused her to lose control of the weapon when firing.”
Parents of an 11-year-old girl who died after choking on a marshmallow have filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
According to Jason and Iris Estabrooks, their daughter Azriel was attending a birthday party at Raymond and Alison Dugan’s home on April 16th when she ingested a marshmallow that got stuck in her throat. “After suffering the pain and fear of choking and an inability to breath and an inability to speak, Azriel lost consciousness and fell to the ground,” the lawsuit claimed.
She was later taken to hospital where she died on April 21.
The lawsuit accuses the hosts of carelessness and negligence.
The family of a 37-year-old mentally ill inmate, who died last year after being repeatedly stunned by a Taser has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
The Fairfax County jail guards were trying to transfer Natasha McKenna to another facility when she confronted them. The guards stunned her four times by a Taser while she was still partially restrained.
McKenna’s family is seeking $15 million in damages.
Following the death of Cal football player Ted Agu during a team drill, the University of California has settled the wrongful death lawsuit filed by his family, for $4.75 million.
Agu, 21, died in winter 2014 after a supervised offseason workout outside Cal’s Memorial Stadium. After his death, his parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit alleging that the university put him in such a strenuous workout even when the doctors and coaches knew about his sickle cell trait.
On April 14th, the University of California and Agu’s family reached a settlement, bringing months of negotiations to an end.
After a crash with a Domino’s Pizza delivery driver killed a man, an Orange County jury has awarded over $10 million in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by his widow.
Richard Wiederhold, a district fire chief in Brevard County, suffered a spinal cord injury in the January 2011 crash, that resulted in Quadriplegy. He later died of his injuries in March 2012.
The jury determined that Michigan-based Domino’s Pizza was responsible for its franchisees and ordered them to pay over $10 million.
Domino’s Pizza LLC is planning on petitioning for a new trial. Company spokesperson Tim McIntyre said. “The delivery driver was an employee of an independent franchise owner…As he did not work for us, we believe there are grounds for a new trial.”
The family of a woman who was shot to death in 2014 by her husband has filed a $1.5 million wrongful death lawsuit.
Raymond Johnson, 39, of Oregon City, Oregon, fatally shot his wife Rebekah Johnson, 32, in their driveway. He was convicted of first-degree manslaughter and unlawful use of a weapon in 2015, and is serving 23 years in prison.
The lawsuit, filed by Rebekah’s father, claims that her death has left her kids without a mother and deprived her parents of her companionship.
A judge has dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the widow of Roger Rodas, who died with the Fast and the Furious star Paul Walker in a car crash in 2013.
The lawsuit, filed by Kristine Rodas, alleged that the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT car went out of control because of a faulty part in the suspension. She also claimed that four specific defects in the car also contributed to the crash that killed Walker and Rodas.
However, U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez dismissed the lawsuit and ruled that the Porsche executives were not responsible for the crash, and the design defects were speculation. The ruling said, “Plaintiff has provided no competent evidence that Rodas’ death occurred as a result of any wrongdoing on the part of Defendant.