The victim, who was a resident of Felton, California, bought the caramel apple from a nearby Safeway store. A few days after consuming the tainted product, she began feeling sick. She was later diagnosed with Listeria infection and died of it.
According to an Austin personal injury attorney Brooks Schuelke, “The facts in this case could apply to anyone in any location in the United States…We all shop for groceries and assume that what we buy is safe for consumption. As it turned out, that caramel apple was allegedly tainted with Listeria, and it was anything but safe.”
The lawsuit claims that Listeria infections can be prevented with proper precautionary measure but those measures were not taken with the tainted caramel apple.