now browsing by tag
The family of the man who died from an infection caused after a fight outside a San Diego nightclub has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
Conner Kepple, 21, entered into a fight with nightclub employees after he was kicked out of the club for hitting a bouncer.
He later developed fast-spreading necrotizing fasciitis in an injured leg and died about a week after the fight.
The prosecutors have said they will not file criminal charges.
The family of a shooting instructor who was accidentally killed by a 9-year-old girl has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Arizona gun range.
Shooting instructor Charles Vacca was killed on August 25th, 2014, after he allowed the girl to fire the Uzi on her own.
The lawsuit filed in the Mohave County Superior Court states that “the Uzi was not a safe or appropriate weapon to entrust to a 9-year-old girl like the Child Shooter, which caused her to lose control of the weapon when firing.”
The family of a 37-year-old mentally ill inmate, who died last year after being repeatedly stunned by a Taser has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
The Fairfax County jail guards were trying to transfer Natasha McKenna to another facility when she confronted them. The guards stunned her four times by a Taser while she was still partially restrained.
McKenna’s family is seeking $15 million in damages.
Following the death of Cal football player Ted Agu during a team drill, the University of California has settled the wrongful death lawsuit filed by his family, for $4.75 million.
Agu, 21, died in winter 2014 after a supervised offseason workout outside Cal’s Memorial Stadium. After his death, his parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit alleging that the university put him in such a strenuous workout even when the doctors and coaches knew about his sickle cell trait.
On April 14th, the University of California and Agu’s family reached a settlement, bringing months of negotiations to an end.
The family of a woman who was shot to death in 2014 by her husband has filed a $1.5 million wrongful death lawsuit.
Raymond Johnson, 39, of Oregon City, Oregon, fatally shot his wife Rebekah Johnson, 32, in their driveway. He was convicted of first-degree manslaughter and unlawful use of a weapon in 2015, and is serving 23 years in prison.
The lawsuit, filed by Rebekah’s father, claims that her death has left her kids without a mother and deprived her parents of her companionship.
The lawsuit was filed by the family of Jackie Fox who died of ovarian cancer. The family claims that the cancer was caused by the J&J talcum powder that Fox used throughout her life. According to the lawsuit, the company failed to warn the customers that the talc used in their feminine hygiene products can migrate through the vagina and increase the risk of ovarian cancer.
The jury found that the company was aware of the increased risk of ovarian cancer from talc but did not take any action to warn the customers.
The company has been ordered to pay $10 million in compensatory damages and $62 million in punitive damages.
Lester Berry, 70, had congestive heart failure and chronic pulmonary disease that required constant oxygen supply.
The lawsuit alleges that Berry was not able to get oxygen because Sam Houston Electric Cooperative cut off his electricity connection. It further claims that although he owed $129.62 for a previous month’s bill, the power company knew about his recurring illness and in the past had given him up to four months to pay bills.
The lawsuit accuses the power company of gross negligence and wrongful death, and is seeking over $1 million in damages.
The former television sportscaster died in August of 2014 due to complications from an infection caused by bacteria found in marine environments.
According to the lawsuit, Sacknoff dined for one year at the dining establishment owned by chef Richard Reddington before his death. In July 2013, he and his friends suffered symptoms of food poisoning after eating undercooked scallops at the restaurant. While his friends recovered from the illness, he could not fully recover and died in 2014.
The family had also filed a complaint against Redd in August 2013, shortly after Sacknoff’s illness. In response to the complaint, the health inspectors inspected the facility and found out that the scallops were being served between 108 and 132 degrees while the proper cooking temperature is 145 degrees.