Ohio University Pays $1 Million in Settlement after Freshman Dies of Bacterial Meningitis
Eighteen-year-old Andrea Robinson, of Cleveland Heights, died in 2010 after suffering from headache and fever. According to the court documents, Andrea was watching a movie with her boyfriend on the evening of Feb. 14, 2010, when she first experienced headache. Next morning, she called the Ohio University’s Hudson Health Center and told a medical assistant about her symptoms, including high fever, headache, stiff neck and chills. The medical assistant advised her to take Tylenol, drink water and rest.
However, her condition became worse by the evening. She called an ambulance which took her to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital. At the hospital, she was diagnosed with meningitis and was referred to Riverside Methodist Hospital. She could not regain consciousness and died 2 days later.
Court documents also showed that during the period of Feb. 16, 2009 and Feb. 7, 2010, 6 students were diagnosed with bacterial meningitis on the campus of Ohio University. They were all treated.
Following her death, Robinson’s father filed a lawsuit, claiming negligence, breach of standard of care and wrongful death. However, Ohio University agreed to pay $1 million in settlement before the case went to Ohio Court of Claims for trial.